Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri, Angeldool, Rowena, Burren Junction, Goodooga, Cryon, Come By Chance, Carinda, Cumborah, Grawin and within the boundaries of the Walgett Shire.
Country Education Foundation of Walgett was established to provide much needed financial assistance and support to local young people to help them access further education, training and jobs. We recognise that the cost of rural students pursuing their post high school goals is often much greater than those of their metropolitan counterparts and that sometimes these costs can be prohibitive.
With this in mind, CEF of Walgett fundraises throughout the year and accepts tax deductable donations from local residents and businesses in order to provide financial grants to students who need an extra helping hand. The funds come directly from the local community – none of it is government funded – celebrating the aspirations of local youth and working to help them achieve these aspirations. It’s our way of saying “we believe in you and want to support your goals”.
We support a diverse range of education and career pursuits including apprenticeships, traineeships, cadetships, degrees, diplomas and certificate level studies or entry careers. We do not provide cash grants directly to the recipients – the local foundation reimburses the student for a pre-agreed expense or pays the goods and services providers directly.
Grants are available to local youth who have lived and/or attended school in the region for the majority of their high school years. Your local CEF does not focus on applicant’s academic success. The four essential selection criteria are:
- That you have demonstrated financial need;
- You are aged 16-25 years;
- That you have gone to school or currently reside in the region covered by your CEF; and
- That you have shown commitment to achieving your goal.
If you satisfy the criteria and would like to apply for a grant, please complete the online application form. Applicants will be required to attend a panel interview whereupon their outcome of their submission will be notified in writing.
Should you be successful in receiving a grant, we request that you agree to the following obligations:
- Notify CEF of Walgett if you receive any other grant/scholarship/funding from another source
- Agree to assist with and attend local foundation fundraising and promotional events if available at the CEF of Walgett’s request; and
- Report to the CEF of Walgett every six months on how your goal is progressing, how the grant has assisted you and your marks/grades for the semester if applicable.
Where possible all grant monies awarded should be spent with local suppliers and services. Demonstrated ability to do this will increase recipient’s likelihood of gaining further funding through the BCEF.