Last updated: Monday, September 14, 2020
Country Education Foundation of Australia Ltd ACN 103 889 452 (CEF) and its related entities recognise the importance of protecting the privacy and the rights of individuals in relation to their personal information. This document is our privacy statement and it tells you how we collect and manage your personal information.
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
What is your personal information?
What personal information do we collect and hold?
The type of information CEF may collect includes (but is not limited to):
• mailing or street address;
• email address;
• telephone number;
• social media handle;
• age or birth date;
• profession, occupation or job title;
• any information you provide directly to us in an application for a grant or scholarship;
• any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our website or online presence, through our representatives, staff, local foundation committees or otherwise; and
• information you provide to us through surveys, during visits, telephone calls and email correspondence from time to time.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website through Google Analytics
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
• through your access and use of our website;
• during conversations between you and our representatives – staff, board members or local committee members;
• when you complete an application;
• when you donate; and
• when you purchase goods or tickets from us.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
• tertiary education institutions
• associated local foundations
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
• we may not be able to consider your application for a grant;
• we may not be able to provide a tax-deductible receipt to you;
• we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you;
• we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want; or
• we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions and to provide best possible quality of customer service. We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
• to assess your application for a grant or scholarship;
• to provide information to you as a committee member for the operation of your local foundation;
• to provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
• to fundraise and to develop and maintain relationships with our (potential) donors and supporters;
• to provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
• to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
• to assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
• to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related entities, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
• for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of CEF and its related entities;
• to provide your updated personal information to our related entities, contractors or service providers;
• to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
• to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
• to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of Australia.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
• our employees, related entities that we have an existing relationship with, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide grants, scholarships, products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
• suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for the business, marketing, and related purposes of CEF; and
• any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related entities (within Australia).
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our operations, products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list. We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
Under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), an individual has the right to obtain any personal information which CEF holds about them and to advise CEF of any perceived inaccuracy. You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you).
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information, we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
Our procedure for investigating and dealing with privacy breaches is to
• first to contain any breach by taking immediate steps to limit any further access or distribution of the affected personal information, or the possible compromise of other information;
• perform an assessment of the suspected data breach immediately after actions have been taken to limit the breach;
• notify you of the extent of the data breach and our actions to remediate the breach;
• undertake a review to learn from the data breach incident to improve and strengthen personal information security and handling practices and reduce the chance of a reoccurrence.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our third-party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We will not send personal information about an individual outside Australia without obtaining the consent of the individual and without complying with the Australian Privacy Principles or other applicable privacy legislation. However, in some cases this consent will implied.
In referring to ‘sensitive information’, CEF means information abut an individual relating to their racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal record, health information or biometric information.
CEF respects your confidentiality and privacy. We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse, interreference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These include secure storage of paper records and password protected access to computerised records.
However, as our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third-party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third-party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner.
Please contact us at:
Country Education Foundation of Australia
Post: PO Box 245, Orange NSW 2800
Tel: 02 6362 3162
Email: [email protected]