Hastings and postcodes 2443, 2444, 2445, 2446 and 2439
The Hastings Education Fund was established to provide much needed financial assistance and support to local youth to help them achieve their post high school education, training and vocation aspirations. We recognise that the cost of regional students pursuing their post high school goals is often much greater than those of their metropolitan counterparts and that sometimes these costs can be prohibitive.
With this in mind, the Hastings Education Fund fundraises throughout the year and accepts donations from local residents and businesses in order to provide financial grants to students who need an extra helping hand. The funds come directly from your local community – none of it is government funded – celebrating the aspirations of local youth and working to help them achieve these aspirations. It’s our way of saying “we believe in you and want to support your goals.”
Hastings Education Fund supports students from the area high schools;
Camden Haven High School
St Joseph’s Regional College
Wauchope High School
Hastings Secondary College – Westport Campus, Port Macquarie Campus
Heritage Christian School
Nautilus Senior College
St Columba Anglican College
Newman Senior Technical College
Hastings Education Fund provides two additional scholarships which provide $5,000 per annum for up to three years to two tertiary students who, in the previous year, received a HEF Commencing Grant. The scholarships operate in the same way as the HEF grant i.e. reimbursement for validated educational expenses. Continuation of the scholarship in subsequent years depends on successful completion of each year of studies.
Essential selection criteria are the demonstration of:
* continuing financial need including details of government support and other grants/scholarships received
* successful completion of year 1 of their tertiary studies; and commitment to completion of their tertiary studies.
To be considered to receive either of these Scholarships for Continuing Education you must:
*submit an application through the CEF website. Applications are open from 1st October – 15th November. This is the same process as your initial application for a HEF grant. Choose “Yes have applied before”, complete the relevant details and indicate in the ‘Supporting Statement’ section, which scholarship/s you are applying for
* participate in an interview (personal or online) with the scholarship sponsors and members of the HEF Committee
* attend the HEF Presentation Ceremony in December 2021
Your application will be strengthened by the inclusion of evidence to support your financial and circumstantial need, your commitment to your chosen academic pathway and your current performance. Evidence may include financial statements, academic transcripts, references and a record of your successful transition to tertiary education in 2021.
Responsibilities of the scholarship recipient are:
* completion of a twice-yearly report for HEF on your progress including an academic transcript
* identification of how the grant has assisted you in achieving your goals for each semester
* participation in the selection of the scholarship recipient for the following year
Kay and John Burman Scholarship for continuing education
The scholarship sponsors, Kay and John Burman, wish to develop a positive and supportive relationship with the recipient in addition to the financial support. Their interest in the success and progress of the recipient is not only in providing funding, but also on a more personal level.
You are asked to provide a short non-financial progress report direct to the sponsors twice each year to let them know how you are going. Your initiative and commitment is expected. Soon after the scholarship is confirmed, the sponsors and the recipient will meet to discuss how they will communicate during the year.
Lewis Land Group Scholarship for continuing education
Preference will be given to tertiary students undertaking studies in a relevant subject, including property, construction, engineering, business, finance, law and/or communications. As part of the scholarship, Lewis Land Group will also seek to provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to undertake paid work experience that is relevant to their field of study at one of their businesses located in Port Macquarie, Sydney, Adelaide and/or the Gold Coast.
About Lewis Land Group
Lewis Land Group is Australia’s oldest and most experienced private property developer with an unmatched wealth of experience in waterfront residential development. Over the past 63 years, the Group has developed more than 20,000 residential lots across Australia’s eastern seaboard, including Sovereign Hills in Port Macquarie.
The Group also owns and operates a portfolio of retail and hospitality assets in New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia.
We support a diverse range of education and career pursuits including apprenticeships, traineeships, cadetships, degrees, diplomas and certificate level studies or entry careers. We do not provide cash grants directly to the recipients – the local foundation reimburses the student for a pre-agreed expense or pays the goods and services providers directly.
Grants are available to local youth who have lived and/or attended school in the region for the majority of their high school years. Your local CEF does not focus on applicant’s academic success. The four essential selection criteria are:
- That you have demonstrated need;
- You are aged 16-25 years;
- That you have gone to school or currently reside in the region covered by Hastings Education Fund; and
- That you have shown commitment to achieving your goal.
If you satisfy the criteria and would like to apply for a grant, please complete the online application form. Applicants will be required to attend a panel interview whereupon their outcome of their submission will be notified in writing.
Should you be successful in receiving a grant, we request that you agree to the following obligations:
- Notify the Hastings Education Fund if you receive any other grant/scholarship/funding from another source
- Agree to assist with and attend local foundation fundraising and promotional events if available at the request of Hastings Education Fund; and
- Report to the Hastings Education Fund every six months on how your goal is progressing, how the grant has assisted you and your marks/grades for the semester if applicable.